Aluminum is the most widely used metal in the world. It is light, strong, and inexpensive. For these reasons, it has been used for a wide variety of applications from building construction to cooking utensils.
There are seven different types of aluminum alloys that are slightly different in their composition and properties. These alloys can be classified according to their purity or according to their primary alloying elements.
Table of Contents
What kind of aluminum is used for CNC Machining?
6061 aluminum alloy is often used and most popular metal material for CNC machining.
6061 aluminum is a popular choice for CNC machining because it has good resistance to corrosion and fatigue. It has a high strength-to-weight ratio and can be easily welded.
7075 aluminum is also a popular choice for CNC machining. It has higher strength-to-weight ratio than 6061 aluminum, but it’s more expensive than 6061 aluminum.
Advantages of 6061 aluminum for cnc machining
6061 aluminum is a type of aluminum alloy with a high strength-to-weight ratio and excellent corrosion resistance plus easy to shape and cheap price which make it as the most popular metal for cnc machining and widely used for different industrial.
- 1. Requires less machining time: 6061 aluminum can be easily cut with a simple milling machine.
- 2. Easy to fabricate: 6061 aluminum is easy to weld, rivet, and form by hand.
- 3. Good corrosion resistance: 6061 aluminum has the best corrosion resistance among all types of commercially pure aluminum alloys.
- 4. Easier to paint: The surface of 6061 aluminum can be easily painted with common paints because it has good adhesion properties and does not require priming or precoating for most applications.
- 5) Low cost: The cost of machining 6061 aluminum is lower than other types of metals.
Applications of 6061 aluminum
Aluminum is one of the most commonly used metals in manufacturing. It is used in a variety of products such as cars, aircrafts, utensils, and buildings. The aluminum industry has seen rapid growth in the past few years and it is expected to continue its growth in the future.
The 5 most common applications of 6061 aluminum are:
– Manufacturing buildings
– Manufacturing car parts
– Manufacturing utensils
– Manufacturing aircrafts
– Manufacturing other products