PEEK is an organic thermoplastic polymer plastic material with excellent mechanical properties, including high temperature performance, mechanical strength and excellent chemical resistance. This makes it a viable material for various additive manufacturing (AM) techniques. In traditional injection molding and CNC machining manufacturing, PEEK-based components have been adopted by many industries and have been widely recognized
1. PEEK for Aerospace Industry
PEEK has a wide range of applications in the aerospace field. It mainly replaces aluminum and other metal materials to manufacture various aircraft parts and reduces the hazard of aircraft fire. The excellent characteristics of PEEK can be used to manufacture fuel filters, bolts, nuts and bobbins. Seats and dining tables in the cabin, skins in the cabin, cable trays and electrical components of the whole machine, handles in the cabin, compressors and pump bodies, etc.
The main performance advantages in this field: high temperature resistance, excellent machinability, radiation resistance, flame retardancy, low smoke, non-toxicity, hydrolysis resistance, corrosion resistance.
2. PEEK for Automobile Industry
PEEK has excellent fatigue and chemical resistance properties, so it can be used in automotive fuel management systems. Due to its light weight, it is replacing various reactive metal or aluminum components used in transmission, braking and air conditioning systems, including piston units, seals, gaskets or bearings, etc., which can significantly reduce vehicle weight and noise.
PEEK has the following applications in the automotive industry:
- PEEK sealing rings and thrust washers are used in the sealing of automobile gearboxes and clutches;
- PEEK worm gear, mainly used in the adjustment device of car seats;
- PEEK vacuum pump rotary vane, mainly used in the power brake system of automobiles;
- PEEK ABS bosses and ABS valve cores are mainly used in the braking system of automobiles;
- PEEK bushings and sliding bearings are mainly used in car window motors, wiper motors and sunroof motors;
- PEEK limit pins and spacers are mainly used in car window-swing motors, wiper motors and sunroof motors;
- PEEK sealing rings are mainly used in the sealing of automobile compressors;
- PEEK oil pump gears, PEEK balance gears, PEEK gears, etc. are mainly used in engine parts and suspension systems.
The advantages of PEEK in the automotive industry:
- The heat resistance and strength are much higher than traditional plastics, and the maximum temperature resistance is 260 °C;
- The tensile strength of PEEK is as high as 224Mpa after fiber reinforcement, which is equivalent to aluminum alloy;
- Meet the lightweight of automobiles, energy and environmental protection issues, and new safety standards;
- It has excellent mechanical properties at high temperature and can maintain stability;
- It has outstanding mechanical strength, impact resistance and wear resistance, which can greatly improve the service life of parts;
- Excellent chemical resistance, excellent resistance to all automotive fluids, and excellent resistance to acids, alkalis, inorganic and organic chemicals even at high temperatures;
- With excellent dimensional stability, low moisture absorption and low thermal expansion coefficient, it can meet the strict tolerance requirements of parts.
3. PEEK for Electrical Engineering Industry
The excellent electrical properties of PEEK make it an ideal insulator. With excellent thermal properties, PEEK polymer parts can withstand high temperatures that traditional insulators cannot. These advantages, along with its long-term operational reliability, and temperature, pressure and frequency durability, make it suitable for use on connector pins for subsea environmental control equipment or high-pressure water pumps.
4. PEEK for Medical Industry
In the medical field, PEEK offers innovative and economical components with excellent abrasion, heat, electrical and chemical resistance. Its applications in the field of health care mainly include dental instruments, endoscopes, dialyzers, etc., mainly in orthopaedics.
Application of PEEK in the medical industry:
The human body has high requirements on implant materials, such as good biocompatibility and lifetime durability. Metal has always been the first implant material, and the emergence of PEEK has broken this pattern.
PEEK for implants needs to meet the requirements of ASTM F2026 and can be used for implants or various clinical applications that are in contact with blood, bone and tissue for more than 30 days, such as spinal fusion cages, trauma fracture fixation, orthopedics, craniomaxillofacial surgery, Oral repair and valve stents, gastrointestinal stents, implantable body fluid pumps, hypoglossal nerve stimulation systems, etc.
- PEEK interbody cage
- PEEK craniomaxillofacial repair
- PEEK Skull Links
- Oral Implant Restoration
- PEEK sternum strap
- PEEK medical catheter
PEEK’s excellent chemical stability, strength, stiffness, and toughness allow for repeated high-temperature sterilization, making it ideal for medical device applications such as drug delivery, dental abutments, catheters, blood management, and surgical instruments.
The common molding processes of medical PEEK include 3D printing, injection molding, CNC lathes, etc. 3D printing can produce more complex spatial structure and shape products. The recycling of powder in the unsintered area can improve the utilization rate of raw materials and control the production cost.